It’s great to see the tremendous interest from folks who want to register with us. Since not everyone is familiar with the registration and ID verification process, we thought we’d tell you how to avoid the most common pitfalls we see customers experience during this process and why it is important to identity verify. We’ve improved our automated ID verification systems to make the process state-of-the-art, fast, and painless. In fact, the vast majority of our customers get verified in less than 15 minutes.
Troubleshooting Identity Verification
In order to expedite this process, and get users trading more quickly, we have compiled a list of helpful tips to help you avoid common obstacles and errors of Identity Verification:
- Selfie issues: You will need a device that has a camera to take a selfie of yourself to complete Identity Verification. Uploads of photos are not compatible. Please use Chrome, as this is our most supported browser. If you are on a computer without a camera, once you start the verification, please select the Issuing Country/Region and ID Type. The next page will prompt you to submit your ID, to which you can select 'Switch to mobile?' to continue on your mobile device. Choose the option that works best for you (email, QR code, copy link) to continue on your mobile device. *Please make sure to keep your web page open while using your mobile device.
- Unsupported ID: Users should also make sure they are selecting the proper document type and following the instructions of what photos to upload. The instructions will say to take a picture of the front or back of the ID. For passports, users should take a picture of the entire passport. If a user is uploading a passport the system may reject the document if the picture does not include the entire passport. The ID must be accepted by Jumio's verification system. The type of identification accepted can vary between countries.
- Unreadable IDs: If an ID is not readable or otherwise unable to be verified as a legitimately issued government ID, users will fail verification and will not have full access to the Bittrex trading platform. Please ensure that the picture of the government-issued ID is clear. Do not black out any information or watermark submitted items. All the document images need to be unaltered. Another common reason for unreadable IDs is glare from a hologram or plastic cover. The ID must be accepted by Jumio's verification system.
- Non-Latin characters on the Government IDs: There are some countries where government IDs do not support the Latin character set. For these IDs, there are additional steps that Bittrex will need to take to verify the information on the ID, often including manual intervention. To ensure a timely review process, please use international passports as these documents support Latin characters. If your passport or ID does not have Latin characters, after uploading your “selfie” and document, you must open a support ticket to that a Bittrex Agent can override this error. Please provide your full name in your native language on the ticket for the agent to verify.
- Do not open multiple support tickets for ID verification: If users open multiple tickets for the same ID verification issue, it delays the process due to needing to resolve the redundant requests.
In case you’re wondering, there are several reasons why new customers need to verify their identity including:
- It provides a layer of security for everyone trading on Bittrex by helping to prevent theft, fraud and abuse of the trading platform.
- The law requires us to comply with “Know-Your-Customer” regulations, which helps us ensure that folks aren’t using Bittrex to launder money or help terrorists.
- We also have to comply with international sanctions and other complicated regulations that govern our industry, restricting the types of places and people who can do business with U.S. companies like ours.
This is pretty much the same requirement that any bank or stock broker has. It isn’t really complicated, but we have to do it.
Identity verification helps protect Bittrex users from theft, fraud and prevents abuse of the Bittrex platform. It’s also important for users to know that Bittrex must comply with the Bank Secrecy Act, U.S. economic sanctions laws, and other legal and regulatory requirements. We take these compliance obligations seriously, and the identity verification helps Bittrex comply with these laws and requirements. We are committed to making sure our services are not used to launder money, support terrorism, commit fraud or other illegal activities, and we appreciate your assistance in this manner. In order to participate in our USD markets you must complete identity verification.
Bittrex also enforces withdrawal limits to protect customer accounts and to comply with federal and state laws and regulations.
- ID Verified Accounts (without 2FA): Verified accounts can currently withdrawal 1 (or equivalent) BTC per day.
- ID Verified Accounts (with 2FA enabled): These accounts can withdraw 100 (or equivalent) BTC per day with two-factor enabled. Once you have been verified please make sure to enable two-factor from your settings to increase your limits to the 100 BTC max.
We trust that you understand Bittrex is committed to following the law and meeting the requirements of our robust compliance program. If you have any issues with identity verification, please submit a ticket on the Bittrex Support site at: https://support.bittrex.com.
We’re really excited that so many new customers want to join us on this journey, and we hope you enjoy our updated website and trading on Bittrex.