Why it's Important to Identity Verify
Identity Verification helps protect Bittrex users from theft, fraud and prevents abuse of the Bittrex platform. It’s also important for users to know that Bittrex must comply with the Bank Secrecy Act, U.S. economic sanctions laws, and other legal and regulatory requirements. We take these compliance obligations seriously, and Identity Verification helps Bittrex comply with these laws and requirements. We are committed to making sure our services are not used to launder money, support terrorism, commit fraud or other illegal activities, and we appreciate your assistance in this manner.
Troubleshooting Identity Verification
We have compiled a list of helpful tips to help you avoid common obstacles and errors of Identity Verification.
Identity Verification Tips
Unsupported ID: Users should also make sure they are selecting the proper document type and following the instructions of what photos to upload. The type of identification accepted can vary between countries. Please see here for a list of supported ID types based on location.
Expired IDs: Expired IDs are not accepted. The ID used for Identity Verification must not be expired to be accepted. If you only have an expired ID, you will have to wait to verify your account when you receive an updated ID.
Unreadable IDs: Our system may be unable to read your ID. We have listed some common reasons the system may not have been able to read your ID below.
- Photo uploads are not allowed, nor will we accept a photocopy or scan of your ID.
- All the document images need to be unaltered. Do not black out any information or watermark submitted items.
- Make sure both the front and back of your ID are complete and unobstructed.
- Make sure the entire ID is in the photo(s), with no portion covered by your hands, etc.
- Please ensure that the picture of the government-issued ID is clear. Glare from a hologram or plastic cover can cause the system to be unable to verify all the details on your ID.
Non-Latin characters on government IDs: There are some countries where government IDs do not support the Latin character set. For these IDs, there are additional steps that Bittrex will need to take to verify the information on the ID, often including manual intervention. To ensure a timely review process, please use international passports as these documents support Latin characters. If your passport or ID does not have Latin characters, after uploading your “selfie” and document, you must open a support ticket so that a Bittrex Agent can override this error.
Selfie issues: You will need a device that has a camera to take a photo of yourself to complete Identity Verification. Uploads of photos are not compatible. If you refuse to take a photo of yourself during this process, your verification will fail. It is required to pass verification. When taking a selfie, the screen will change, and the image may look slightly distorted. This is expected. Continue to follow the on-screen instructions.
Selfies can fail for several reasons. Please pay attention to the following:
- Was your selfie photo focused? Try not to move while the camera takes your photo to prevent blur.
- Is any portion of your face obstructed by clothing such as a hat, scarf, etc.? Please uncover your face completely for this step.
- Are you looking straight into the camera? Make sure you look straight into the camera and align yourself properly in the oval window on the screen.
- Is your lighting too bright or too dark? Make sure to take your photos in an appropriately lit area.
If you are unable to verify your identity, please submit a support request here and an analyst will reach out. Please refrain from opening multiple support tickets whenever possible. Creating multiple tickets for the same Identity Verification issue can cause delays in resolution.