To help drive innovation in the blockchain industry, Bittrex is committed to supporting both new and established blockchains. Bittrex seeks to provide its users with an ever-growing selection of blockchain technologies and digital tokens.
As two of our senior executives wrote in a Wall Street Journal Op-ed:
"A digital currency exchange serves as a nerve center of the blockchain ecosystem, and trading platforms are fundamental to ensuring the security of the blockchain by, for example, making it extremely difficult to engage in certain types of cyber-attacks. Additionally, it allows for marketbased price discovery so that the marketplace can determine the value for your digital asset; it also fosters innovation… The potential uses are limited only by the imagination of the innovators."
There are two main reviews that Bittrex completes before a token may be listed on Bittrex.com or Bittrex International:
- Preliminary Review: This is an initial review to determine whether a token that seeks to be listed on Bittrex.com or Bittrex International should proceed through the full listing process. A Bittrex employee will notify you if your token has been selected to undergo the Full Listing Review.
- Full Listing Review: This is a more in-depth review of the token. Bittrex requests certain documentation through this process, including an executed Non-Disclosure Agreement and Listing Agreement. A committee comprised of Bittrex employees will determine if the token meets our robust criteria, and whether it will be listed on Bittrex.com or Bittrex International. As part of this review, Bittrex may consult with outside advisors.
To start the preliminary review, please submit the required information through Bittrex Support using the following link:
As part of the full listing review, a token must successfully complete a compliance review before it can be listed on the trading platform. With the addition of the new Bittrex International platform, there are two separate and distinct compliance review processes that will apply to different situations. Bittrex will decide which tokens should go through each process and will inform the token teams which process is best suited for them.
To be listed on the U.S. platform on Bittrex.com, our compliance review requires the applicant to provide a legal memorandum or opinion from its U.S.-qualified external legal counsel. The memo or opinion should present the factual and legal basis for its conclusion that (a) the Candidate Token is not a security under applicable securities laws, and (b) that trades of the Candidate Tokens would not be subject to regulation under any applicable laws applicable to trading of commodities.
To be listed on the Bittrex International platform, our compliance process requires that token teams provide a legal opinion letter from a Maltese law firm affirming that the token is a Virtual Financial Asset (VFA), and not a financial instrument, under Maltese regulations.
Token teams may be asked to provide one or both legal memos, depending on a number of factors, including evaluation of the individual token under both U.S law and Malta law. For most projects, the compliance process for Bittrex International will be the fastest method for listing, and the timeline to be listed in the U.S. will be longer. Teams may apply for both U.S. and international listings concurrently, but we will typically ask a team to go through the Bittrex International listing process first while they prepare for the U.S. process. If a token already has a U.S. legal memo at the time of its application, we may not request a Malta legal letter and instead send them directly to the U.S. listing process.
In addition to the compliance review, Bittrex reviews many aspects of the token, project, and platform when determining whether to list a token, including whether it is an innovative and/or new Blockchain or has an innovative use case or application. As part of its review, Bittrex takes into consideration a number of factors including but not limited to:
- New blockchain features
- Significant improvement over existing blockchain
- Interesting, innovative, or unique application
- Usefulness of use cases
- Technological experience and reputation of token applicant and team
- Market interest
Bittrex does not currently charge a fee for listing a token on any of our platforms, including Bittrex.com and Bittrex International. We believe in promoting the blockchain industry, and we have spent, and will continue to invest, significant resources to review tokens for listing on our trading platforms.
Please do not believe any consultant, advisor, or individual that tells you that they can get your token listed on Bittrex.com or Bittrex International for a fee. The decision to list a token is made by a committee of Bittrex employees after a rigorous review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please submit the required information through Bittrex Support using the following link:
We will need the following information:
- Verified Bittrex Account of token representative and list of all token team personal and corporate accounts
- Token Name and Proposed Ticker Letters
- Description of Token
- Current use case of token on mainnet
- Mainnet and Platform Launch Dates
- Blockchain information
- Github Link (We only accept source code, not a binary executable)
- Official blockchain explorer
- Official website
- Link to the whitepaper
- Social media information, including telegram channel, twitter account, facebook page, wechat, kakao talk, etc.
- Amount of money or digital currency raised, if applicable
- Existence of a premine supply
- Maximum supply of your token
- What is your TxFee for a transaction?
- List of trading platforms offering the token
- If you are an ETH token or support smart contracts:
- Date and documentation of the most recent code review performed of your smart contract
- Smart contract address
What is the difference between getting a token listed on Bittrex.com versus Bittrex International?
Tokens that are listed on Bittrex.com are available to both U.S. and non-U.S. users. Tokens that are listed on Bittrex International are only available to non-U.S. customers, which means that customers that are U.S. citizens or U.S. residents will not have access to new tokens listed on Bittrex International. This is because tokens that are listed on Bittrex.com are governed by United States laws and regulations. For Bittrex International, token listings are governed by Maltese laws and regulations. In Malta, there are specific regulations, in particular the Virtual Financial Assets Act, that apply to Virtual Financial Assets (also known as cryptocurrencies) and provide specific guidance on what can and cannot be listed on trading platforms that operate in Malta. With the VFA Act, the time needed for a token to be listed on Bittrex International usually goes much faster.